Saturday, December 7, 2013

Heart of Georgia Veggies Thanksliving

It seems rather apropos that this website starts during the season of giving thanks. As families gather around tables to spend time with each other and to be thankful for the joys in their life, I am constantly reminded of the animals who suffered and died to feed others when it wasn't necessary.
While I wish my family had vegan Thanksliving, we are not there yet. We have certainly gotten past the “What do you mean, you don’t want any turkey?” But we are far from not hearing “Well I’m not sure what you can eat.” The "smart a" in me wants to respond every time, “I can eat anything, I choose not to eat animals or their excretions.” Then I remember this is a time for spending time with family, and by asking people are trying to understand. Plus my family has done a great job of including foods we can eat. I am fortunate that I am not the only veggie at the table, since my husband, Jonathan, is a vegetarian.
This season I am thankful to have a table to gather around, family and friends to spend time with, veggie support from my husband, people who understand Thanksgiving is about more than just the food, for health, my furry children, and many more things. It may not be a veg Thanksliving event at my family table, but at least we are welcome at the table and there will be plenty of food even this vegan can eat while holding true to my ethics.
~Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment