Thursday, March 6, 2014

What's a Pummelo?

I'm always up for trying new food, well new vegan food. So the other day when we went to Whole Foods I saw a fruit I've never seen or had... and it was on sale! I've got a little bit of my dad in me, I could not pass up the sale :)

So what's a pummelo (or pomelo)?
Citrus maxima, is a crisp citrus fruit native to South and Southeast Asia. It is usually pale green to yellow when ripe, with sweet white flesh and very thick albedo. Wikipedia


When it says very thick rind, it means it! So here are the pictures of the cutting and a review of a new fruit to me. 


PhotoPhoto

Here is my pummelo waiting to be cut and enjoyed. It is the largest citrus fruit and it was kind of heavy compared to a grapefruit. SO how do you cut a pummelo? 
Photo

First, chop off the cap. You will need to cut two inches into the rind. I actually had to cut it, and then cut it again as I was worried I was going to cut into the flesh of the fruit. 


Next cut into the round (scoring like an orange but cut deeper as the rind is really thick!). You can see in this picture how thick the rind is on a pummelo. You can also see in this picture that I didn't cut deep enough. I was worried again I would cut the flesh of the fruit. The interesting thing here is the rind is really soft. It feels like Styrofoam. 

You can compost the rind. I was trying to find something else to do with it, as there is a lot of rind, but I couldn't find anything else. So if you have any suggestions please let me know in the comments below. 

Photo
Finally, this is the fruit on the inside. It took a good deal of work to get into this fruit, but it was worth it. The pummelo citrus fruit is like a sweet grapefruit. It does still have a bit of a bitter twinge, but otherwise it is really good. I have to admit I'm not much of a grapefruit person, but I could be a pummelo person. I usually prefer oranges or tangerines. Sweet fruits, not twangy. 

Will I buy this fruit again? If it's on sale, yes! I did enjoy it, and enjoyed eating a different kind of fruit. I cannot say it is my favorite fruit, but it is tasty and was worth the effort to cut into it. I'm going to keep trying new fruits and veggies then bring the results here. So look for more reviews and even maybe some recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment