Friday, July 18, 2014

It's back! Back to Edenz Vegetarian Restaurant


This past week I had a wonderful experience. I went into a restaurant, and started casually talking to someone in the line. We were discussing the different items on the buffet, and I asked if she was a vegetarian. Not only is she a vegetarian and vegan on many days, but we found out we both recently moved from Columbus, Ga. We then lamented on how we missed Country Life.

I miss the great buys in the bulk bins!

So while I had a captive audience, I casually mentioned I was trying to start up a veggie group in this area. She got excited and said I thought that was you! Yes she had heard of Heart of Georgia Veggies! It was an amazing moment for me to know that others are reading my posts, beyond just my family and close friends. Thank you to everyone who reads this post. A BIG thank you to the person I ran into at the restaurant, who had found this blog! It is great to know that reviewing the local resources, etc. is providing information for others. This has only encouraged me to post more and try to improve the blog and group.

If you have suggestions for the blog, the group, or ideas for meet ups please let me know. Also, don't forget to join the Facebook group.

I see the stats on this blog, and I know that people are looking at it, but I know the SEO (search engine optimization) isn't that great. This basically means that when I do a Google search the blog doesn't come up :(.  I am usually pretty good at these techie items, but I just haven't had time to devote to this page. I'll work on it, and if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Now for the review of the magical restaurant where I had this awesome experience while grabbing some yummy food:



After living in Macon for a year and hearing several people mention that there use to be a vegetarian restaurant in Macon, but it closed in 2008. Well, its back! Back to Edenz had a soft opening on July 7th, and will have a grand opening toward the end of the month. Right now, they are open Monday-Friday 11 am- 3 pm, but plan to offer dinner hours after the grand opening  now open Monday-Thursday 11 am - 7pm, Friday 11 am - 3 pm & Sunday 12-5pm. They also deliver 478 405-3336. 

As you can see from the sign above their menu changes daily and is sold by the pound. This is good for people who want to try a little of everything, but bad for those of us that sometimes eat with our eyes....

Photo


Starting from the top clockwise: collards, squash, plantain, veggie stir fry, scalloped potatoes, and pasta salad. Oh, my goodness I was so full afterwards!

I typically do not eat plantains, but these were very good. I particularly enjoyed the veggie stir fry, and scalloped potatoes. Everything was very flavorful and filling. The scallop potatoes were not ooey gooey, but they were very good. The veggie stir fry was basic rice and veggies, but I love fried rice so it was really good to me.

The only item I've seen so far that is not vegan is the vegetarian fried chicken:

Photo

My husband tried this, and said it was awesome. He said it was crispy, and had a good texture. This is vegetarian fried chicken since it contains egg whites.

So the food was so good, I went back the next week :)

Photo
Vegan barbecue 
Photo
Vegan Macaroni and cheese, and vegan black eyed pea casserole

I picked this up to go so the pictures are not that great, but the food tasted great! The mac and cheese again wasn't ooey gooey. It was more nutty flavor, and tasted more like a casserole. I really enjoyed it, but if you're expecting something like the blue box, this isn't it. This is more homemade casserole type mac and cheese. It was really good.

I was pleasantly surprised by the blacked eye pea casserole. It had an awesome flavor and texture. You can see some greens mixed in too.

Now for dessert!

Photo
Vegan Apple Pie

Vegan carob cupcake
I normally love apple pie, and don't get me wrong this was good... but the carob cupcake, IMO, wins hands down. It was creamy, chocolate, sweet but not too sweet, and just yummy.

I added Back to Edenz to Happy Cow (see previous post to learn about Happy Cow). Please add restaurants to Happy Cow in the Columbus and Heart of Georgia area. Adding items to the app, marking items on Yelp or Urbanspoon, etc. really help other veggies find good places to eat. It also helps these small restaurants. Vegans Unite! Oh, wait that's another website and another post for another time as this one has already turned into a book with tons of exclamation points.

For now, check out Back to Edenz and help support this local veggie restaurant. They post their menu on Facebook each day. I saw they even have vegan deviled eggs. I will have to try those soon! It is great to have a veggie restaurant back in this area. I look forward to going back to Back to Edenz again for many more delicious meals, talks with fellow veggies, and maybe even a veggie meet up at Back to Edenz. Anyone interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment