Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Review: Tropical Smoothie Cafe Columbus, GA

Sometimes you just want something cool and refreshing especially when it is hot outside. So one morning my Mom and I ventured over to Tropical Smoothie Cafe in Columbus, Ga. I wanted to try the Beyond Meat sandwiches they recently started offering. 

It has been a while since I've been so I am trying to remember exactly what I ordered! It was part of the island combo deal. I ordered a half of a bistro sandwich and smoothie. 

Now, the beyond meat was not listed in the bistro sandwiches. I had to ask the cashier to substitute the beyond meat in one of the sandwiches, but it wasn't an issue.

The sandwich was basic. It was bread with beyond meat, minus the mayo add mustard, and basic lettuce and tomato. The sandwiches typically have mayo and some type of cheese. Make sure to let your cashier if you are vegan to leave out the mayo and cheese. The best thing is it was just enough to go with the really big Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie.


Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie. Picture from Tropical Smoothie website.
The smoothie is what made this meal great. Yes the sandwich was good, and it was nice to have a savory item to offset the large smoothie but the smoothie was cooling and filling. I probably enjoyed the smoothie more due to the hot weather! 

A quick note about their smoothies, only certain smoothies can be made vegan. Each smoothie list next to it if it is made with yogurt and if it is then it cannot be made vegan (or at least that is what I found). Make sure to let your cashier know that you want a smoothie with no dairy, no yogurt, and no whey. The whey part is important. Some of the smoothies contain whey protein powder, which not everyone realizes is made from milk. It is always best to ask for the ingredient list in the smoothies and to see what can be substituted.

Really many items can be created from their menu. It is always nice to have a vegan smoothie option in Columbus, Ga. Plus, when you are traveling there are often Tropical Smoothie Cafe's around since it is a chain unless of course you live in Macon, Ga. There is no Tropical Smoothie Cafe in Macon, which means I will have to wait until I visit Columbus again for another smoothie trip!

~Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment